From improving heart health to lowering a person’s diabetes risk, weight loss surgery can offer a variety of known benefits for people with obesity. And now a new study suggests another possible benefit: having weight loss surgery may help better prepare you to fight COVID-19 if you become infected with the virus. About the Research This study, published in JAMA Surgery, involved over 20,000 patients with a BMI (body mass index) of 35 or higher. About 25% of those patients had weight loss surgery before the COVID-19 pandemic started (from 2004 to 2017). The other 75% of patients used...
COVID-19 News and Resources
Access ThedaCare’s most up-to-date information regarding COVID-19 as well as updates from our clinical collaborator, Mayo Clinic.
Four Quick Facts About At-Home COVID-19 Testing As COVID-19 continues to spread across our community, many people are looking for a quick way to know if they have the virus. Taking an at-home antigen COVID-19 test—also known as an over-the-counter test or self-test—can help you determine if you can go to work, attend an event, or take your trip. Here are four things to keep in mind about at-home COVID-19 tests. At-home antigen COVID-19 tests are different than in-person PCR tests. “A rapid COVID-19 test detects molecules on the surface of the virus, which are called antigens. PCR tests, which...
On Friday, January 14, we hosted ThedaCare Connection: A Live COVID-19 Q&A Facebook Event. During this special online discussion, Dr. Zachary Baeseman, a physician in Family Medicine and Obstetrics, answered questions about COVID-19 testing and the current state of the virus spread in our community. We’ve pulled together a few highlights based on our conversation.
With the Omicron variant of COVID-19 spreading quickly, many people have questions and concerns about how the virus may affect themselves and their families. What’s more, updated CDC guidelines have some people confused about the new “rules” for quarantining and testing. Zachary Baeseman, M.D., a physician at ThedaCare, says one of the most important things you can do right now is to know your own health and to pay attention to your symptoms. “We encourage people to know the symptoms of COVID-19, so they can try not to spread it if they do have it. There are some signs like...
As the weather begins to cool and the holidays approach, people naturally will start thinking about making holiday plans with family. While the holidays are a great time for celebrating special moments with friends and family, it’s important for everyone to consider ways to keep their loved ones safe.
Planning and preparing trick-or-treating with your children can be a fun way to involve your them, and set expectations for everyone.
Want to support and thank your local health care workers and emergency response teams? Here are a few simple ways to show your appreciation.
Did your child (12 years old or older) get their COVID-19 vaccine? Are they up-to-date with their routine vaccines?
Here’s What Our Clinical Experts Want You to Know
COVID-19 vaccinations are not mandatory, but businesses and states can set vaccine requirements or impose restrictions based on vaccination status.
With COVID-19 cases again on the rise in many states, learn how you can protect yourself and those you love against the now dominant delta variant.
What you need to know before visiting patients at ThedaCare
News and Updates
ThedaCare news releases and press contact information